COLD SPRING HARBOR BEACH CLUB
Photo by John Rousmaniere
Cold Spring Harbor Beach Club is an informal, family club located on the Eastern shore of a beautiful, protected harbor on the North Shore of Long Island. Founded in an old beach casino in 1921, the club added yacht racing in 1922 and tennis in the following year. A junior sailing program was established with 14 Abeking & Rasmussen dinghies in 1924, and active junior programs were quickly established in swimming and tennis as well. These sports, plus a snack bar and outdoor grill, remain the primary activities at the Beach Club today. The club burgee was designed to depict swimming lanes and tennis balls on a yachting flag.
In 1930, CSH sailors purchased 13 of the original Abeking & Rasmussen Atlantics, fresh off the boat from Germany. These were added to a fleet that already included Beach Club One Designs and Fish Boats, so that by the mid 1930's there were more than 40 actively raced keelboats at the club. The Atlantic fleet has remained active at CSHBC continuously since 1930, and today consists of nine active boats – some of them sailed by direct descendants of skippers and owners in the 30's. The fleet races every weekend and holiday from Memorial Day through Columbus Day, generally within the sheltered waters of Cold Spring Harbor and Oyster Bay. The club also hosts an annual fall invitational regatta for the Atlantic Class – the Ted Janeway Memorial Series.
Fleet Captain: Tom Carroll: email@example.com
Club website: http://cshbc.com
Street address: 101 Shore Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
Telephone: (631) 692-6546